Jordan Lyles 2022

Il BuonO

i don't think they're just going to flip this guy at the deadline for whatever they can get. He is performing a very important role in supporting the young SPs and giving this bullpen a lighter load every 5th day. That will only become more critical as we get deeper into the season. Remember, a lot of these guys have never had to grind out 162 at any level let alone the highest level. 

• Upvote 3

Count me among those who wasn't thrilled with the signing, but watching that interview where he says "we know why I'm here" [to eat innings to protect the young arms] made me appreciate the role he was signed to play and the way he's playing it.  He'll probably regress over the season a bit, but if he can continue to go out there and throw six or seven innings  while not letting the other side run away with the game - that has real value.  

• Upvote 1

Lyles has been fantastic in terms of what we need him for. He's doing the job well, clearly likes being here and playing for Hyde, and "for the boys" has been a fun little meme. 

We had to pay a lot for him, but few guys do what he does and stay healthy, so it was clearly worth the price, especially with Means down. And it's great that a FA pitcher is praising the organization like this and having success. That goes a long way in helping build a new image along with the wall. 

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

In the big scheme of the baseball universe, we’re really not paying that much at all.

Exactly. Everyone busted a nut at $7 million, but we're not operating on a level playing field as the rest of baseball. We have a hitter's park reputation, we have a losing team that is very young, we play in the AL East. If people don't want the Matt Harvey's and Wade LeBlanc's of the world, the next tier is Jordan Lyles and we have to pay appropriately for that relative to the position we're in. Which is not a position of bargaining strength. We needed innings and that's what we paid for. The savviness comes when the Orioles took a chance on late-2021 Lyles being the new & improved Lyles. So far they've been right. He's been much more competitive than I thought he would be. 

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed that interview.   Lyles is a very real guy.   He doesn’t buy into unrealistic questions.  He seems like the kind of guy who if you met him around town would be very honest about the team and his role.  

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Listen to Lyles minute-long answer at the 2:00 mark in this video.    He answered a softball question with such candor that as I saw it live I wasn't sure if MASN would post, but they did.    He is who he is as a big-leaguer, and I'm more of a fan of him today than I was yesterday.

Humble, honest, well-spoken guy with his head on straight, as they used to say.

2 hours ago, vab said:

i don't think they're just going to flip this guy at the deadline for whatever they can get. He is performing a very important role in supporting the young SPs and giving this bullpen a lighter load every 5th day. That will only become more critical as we get deeper into the season. Remember, a lot of these guys have never had to grind out 162 at any level let alone the highest level. 

Good post.  Lyles' value to the Orioles eating innings/resting the BP (especially as the young guys get promoted and eventually shutdown when they start hitting their season IP limits) could be greater than the value other teams would be willing to trade for.  I still think we'll trade him, but that's an extra layer Elias should consider.

• Upvote 1

Lyles is averaging roughly 5.8 innings per start if he can carry that over 36 starts thats 210 innings. With an ERA+ of 96. I would say thats easily worth $7M.  I liked the signing when it happened because of how completely disastrous the rotation was at providing innings last year. With Means out, Lyles job is even more crucial. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was against the signing but he's proven to be a good addition.  I really liked that interview, too.  

Better Lyles than Matt Harvey to be a veteran presence for the pitching staff. Even though MLB won't admit to it the seemingly deader ball is helping out pitchers plus OPACY is now cozier in left field.

Lyles sounds like a leader and for a team that isn't spending money on payroll there are worse ways to spend $7M. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Better Lyles than Matt Harvey to be a veteran presence for the pitching staff. Even though MLB won't admit to it the seemingly deader ball is helping out pitchers plus OPACY is now cozier in left field.

Lyles sounds like a leader and for a team that isn't spending money on payroll there are worse ways to spend $7M. 

Interesting that we signed 3 free agents that all started last year with the Texas Rangers, none of the signings were applauded by the fan base, and while statistically only Lyles has done anything, all 3 appear to have shown a certain amount of veteran leadership and seem to be good guys to have in the clubhouse.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Lyles is averaging roughly 5.8 innings per start if he can carry that over 36 starts thats 210 innings. With an ERA+ of 96. I would say thats easily worth $7M.  I liked the signing when it happened because of how completely disastrous the rotation was at providing innings last year. With Means out, Lyles job is even more crucial. 

Exactly. My only problem with the Lyles signing is there weren’t more like it, to prevent us from seeing the Spenser Watkins of the world.