Poll: Would Grant Green be a reach at No. 5?

Would Grant Green be a reach at No. 5?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would Grant Green be a reach at No. 5?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no. I realize he is having an "off" season, but I prefer to look at his body of work. After the Cape Cod season scouts were comparing him to Evan Longoria and Troy Tulowitzski. As long as he can stay at SS I think he's worth the risk.

I was high on the Green bandwagon earlier in the year, but some of the reports I'm reading on him makes it sound like he's a 3rd baseman and not a short stop and that his power is average at best. That being the case he's not a top 5 pick in my mind anymore. I'd rather go with a pitcher and grab someone like a Robbie Shields in the second round.

It's not a reach, it's just a question if more than 4 people are better options. Green is having a down season compared to the expectations for him, people here were thinking he was the human incarnation of Ares. He isn't hitting .200 or anything and his defense is good enough to stay at SS.

In my lack of sleep stupor, I read it as would he reach us at #5, not would he be a reach at #5. I voted yes, because I think he'll be around when we select. Not sure Joe Jordan takes him, but I think he'll have the option.

From ESPN Draft blog:

If San Diego does not select Grant Green, does Pittsburgh, Baltimore or San Francisco even consider him? Could he fall all the way to Detroit at No. 9? Could he drop below that pick? It appears that someone will have to believe in Green's glove to tab him in the top 10, and not a lot of clubs are convinced -- I've talked to exactly zero who believe in his defense.

Questions whether he can stay at SS AND questions about his bat? Yikes. No way I want this guy at #5.

WHO questions those? A couple people on a message board? Have you ever actually seen him play? Do you know if the errors are mental or mechanical? Did you notice that he has 16 doubles and 5 triples, and know that high amounts of doubles often lead to more homeruns later?

Sorry...done ranting, just a lot of people jumping on Green like he's 2nd round fodder when the only place I've ever really seen him torn down is on these boards. People on other mocks and sights tend to look through other mocks and then use the same generic reasoning for dropping or raising a guy. Gibson has been probably the best pitcher in baseball over the last month or so, and only like 2 or 3 sites have even acknowledged this or moved him accordingly.

Again, not directed at you personally, just in general...sorry.

From ESPN Draft blog:

And I've seen plenty who have no problem with his defense. This defense being a question thing started as a way to keep questions about him going before the season, now because he's been a little off people have been jumping on him like he's Adam Dunn. He's got good range, and if you'd actually look into it, he had a streak his freshman year where he didn't make an error in his final 17 games, and another last year where after making 9 errors in 21 games he didn't make another for the final 29 games. So really...someone has to come up with something substantial about this defense question.

I'm pretty sure Stotle has seen him in person too, and as I recall he didn't see any problems with his defense. Anyone got anything better than some blogger on the internet?

And I've seen plenty who have no problem with his defense. This defense being a question thing started as a way to keep questions about him going before the season, now because he's been a little off people have been jumping on him like he's Adam Dunn. He's got good range, and if you'd actually look into it, he had a streak his freshman year where he didn't make an error in his final 17 games, and another last year where after making 9 errors in 21 games he didn't make another for the final 29 games. So really...someone has to come up with something substantial about this defense question.

I'm pretty sure Stotle has seen him in person too, and as I recall he didn't see any problems with his defense. Anyone got anything better than some blogger on the internet?

I think we both know the problem with judging someone's defense just on errors.

And LOL at calling Churchill "some blogger on the internet." All three of Callis, Law, and Churchill have questioned Green's defense and have probably seen him more than Stotle has. Not to mention Churchill just said no one he has spoken to has confidence in Green's glove at SS. Unless you think Churchill is straight up lying, then there are quite a few qualified baseball people who think Green won't make it as a big league SS.

WHO questions those? A couple people on a message board? Have you ever actually seen him play? Do you know if the errors are mental or mechanical? Did you notice that he has 16 doubles and 5 triples, and know that high amounts of doubles often lead to more homeruns later?

Sorry...done ranting, just a lot of people jumping on Green like he's 2nd round fodder when the only place I've ever really seen him torn down is on these boards. People on other mocks and sights tend to look through other mocks and then use the same generic reasoning for dropping or raising a guy. Gibson has been probably the best pitcher in baseball over the last month or so, and only like 2 or 3 sites have even acknowledged this or moved him accordingly.

Again, not directed at you personally, just in general...sorry.

No one is saying he is second round material (at least that I know of). I'm just saying he has way too many question marks to be taken at #5.

I think we both know the problem with judging someone's defense just on errors.

And LOL at calling Churchill "some blogger on the internet." All three of Callis, Law, and Churchill have questioned Green's defense and have probably seen him more than Stotle has. Not to mention Churchill just said no one he has spoken to has confidence in Green's glove at SS. Unless you think Churchill is straight up lying, then there are quite a few qualified baseball people who think Green won't make it as a big league SS.

Yeah, right now we are the only ones who think Green will be adequate at short defensively. General rule is that you ignore the outliers. That said . . . no one is infallible. So if you are capable, grab some film and look at it. If not . . . find someone you trust with evaluation. If that doesn't work out . . . look for consensus.

Maybe if he could stick at SS, but don't want him.

From Jon Heyman's twitter:

"rare baseball draft prediction: i hear the orioles are looking hard at USC ss grant green at no. 5 overall"

Let's hope this is not true. :eek:

Maybe if he could stick at SS, but don't want him.

From Jon Heyman's twitter:

"rare baseball draft prediction: i hear the orioles are looking hard at USC ss grant green at no. 5 overall"

Let's hope this is not true. :eek:

Good find, Bako. That's worthy of some rep. :)

Archived