Colton Cowser 2024

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

yes, #1 on Baltimore

Interesting.. I wonder if he could improve a bit by switching to a more aggressive approach, similar to the evolution Gunnar made last year. 

11 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

You can get Pit/PA here. Scroll down to the Team Pitches Batting section and sort by Pit/PA. Lots of good stuff on that page.

image.png.81bd66540042ce778e36d485f4c06995.png

Besides Mullins I see our best 6 other hitters on that list so it seems relevant.

• 4 weeks later...

These two plays from Wednesday's Cubs game kind of annoyed me.

Michael Busch doubles (16) on a ground ball to left fielder Austin Hays. | 07/10/2024 | MLB.com

Grounder right up the middle hits off the 2B bag into short LCF, and Hays is the one to retrieve it.   Cowser is just standing there watching it until the ball hits off the bag, which is why Hays, who was further away, gets there first.   Cowser should have been charging in just in case the ball gets by Gunnar, which it did.   Instead, he was being a spectator.

Colton Cowser grounds out, pitcher Luke Little to first baseman Michael Busch. | 07/10/2024 | MLB.com

Cowser hits a ball off the plate but doesn't start to run until the ball has practically reached its apex on the bounce.   He's out by a step and a half, but could have made that play very tough on the pitcher if he'd run immediately.

I'm not really accusing him of dogging it, just lack of focus on both plays IMO.   

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2024 at 10:13 AM, spleen1015 said:

You can get Pit/PA here. Scroll down to the Team Pitches Batting section and sort by Pit/PA. Lots of good stuff on that page.

image.png.81bd66540042ce778e36d485f4c06995.png

When you swing and miss a lot you will see a lot of pitches.  I would still keep sending Cowser out though. 

He is doing the Ryan McKenna job, and arbitrators gonna have to study this someday.

I don't want Aaron Hicks back, but it is a rough looking patch right now.     A young hitter's growth to handling same sided pitchers depends partly on seeing other sided pitchers day to day, and that's not where he is right now.

Very recently his at-bats I am trying to look at in the context of the Phillies using a flychaser from AA, or Brenton Doyle on the Rockies last year.

We're so close to the All-Star break now and its natural pause I don't think day to day roster moves occur while the front office is locking in on the draft 96 hours out.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

While Austin Hays has surpassed him in yearly rate numbers, it is more than far to point out that he has been advantaged by facing a lot of lefties (who he kills 950 OPS on the year) and Cowser has had to face a lot of lefties, where he is disadvantaged, because of the roster construction.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pickles said:

While Austin Hays has surpassed him in yearly rate numbers, it is more than far to point out that he has been advantaged by facing a lot of lefties (who he kills 950 OPS on the year) and Cowser has had to face a lot of lefties, where he is disadvantaged, because of the roster construction.

Yeah, but when I said he's likely a platoon bat people freaked out, he just needs to learn to hit LHP. Now some guy on Twitter posts something about LHP and everyone is on board lol.

Just now, Malike said:

Yeah, but when I said he's likely a platoon bat people freaked out, he just needs to learn to hit LHP. Now some guy on Twitter posts something about LHP and everyone is on board lol.

He's got growing to do against lefties and righties imo.

21 minutes ago, Malike said:

Well saying he’s likely a platoon bat is a poor thing to say…we just don’t know yet and don’t have enough info.

Now, saying he should sit vs at least half the lefty starts right now is fair to say.

Rarely playing him vs righties isn’t going to help him.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kevin Brown made much the same point during tonight’s broadcast.  Mullins has been so bad vs. LHP that Cowser often plays CF against them even though he’s not particularly good vs. LHP himself.  

It wouldn’t be ideal defensively, but they could try Hays in CF and Kjerstad in LF against LHP.  Kjerstad always has hit LHP pretty well.  It’s a defensive downgrade at both spots though.