Low cost options in free agency

OriolesMagic83

What are some lost cost options in free agency. Players that the O's can sign for 1 year or 1 year w/ an option at most.

1 that sticks out to me is Josh Willingham. He's always had a solid OBP, he could be a decent option next year if the O's don't resign Markakis. He hit more HR than Markakis and had a higher OPS.

Another possible player is Harang on a 1 year deal if the O's trade a starter.

What are some other low cost options?

I believe the O's will sign one of Cruz or Markakis, and the rest of their deals will be of the 1 year kind. DD is not one to hand out lengthy contracts to mediocre players. I bet he's still kicking himself about the Ubaldo contract.

I'd really love to see the O's go after Masterson. He is ground ball guy and with the O's defense he could have pretty numbers for another shot at FA next year. I know there are plenty of pitching options but if we traded a Norris or Gonzalez for a RF or RP depth it could work out. I like Willingham as a back up option for DH but I think I'd offer to see Pearce in that role.

What are some lost cost options in free agency. Players that the O's can sign for 1 year or 1 year w/ an option at most.

1 that sticks out to me is Josh Willingham. He's always had a solid OBP, he could be a decent option next year if the O's don't resign Markakis. He hit more HR than Markakis and had a higher OPS.

Another possible player is Harang on a 1 year deal if the O's trade a starter.

What are some other low cost options?

I believe the O's will sign one of Cruz or Markakis, and the rest of their deals will be of the 1 year kind. DD is not one to hand out lengthy contracts to mediocre players. I bet he's still kicking himself about the Ubaldo contract.

Just because they are a free agent, does not mean they are playing.

Willingham is retiring.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/25/report-josh-willingham-is-100-percent-retiring/

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/2014/09/25/twinsights-josh-willingham-plans-retire-seasons-end/

I like Alex Rios and I like Nori Aoki.

Rios' 1st half / 2nd half ops splits were insane. 773 / 528. He's a career 762 OPS guy, and there's some rumbling that he was playing through injury to finish the season. His OPS in August was 441 !! If he can come on a 1yr deal I think he's a big bounceback candidate. He could end up taking a deal similar to Cruz's last year.

Aoki is older than most people realize but he's not a bad defender (probably similar to Nick,but worse arm) and he has a career 350+ obp. Could be available on a 2yr deal. Although some people suggest he'll get a 3rd. Will probably cost less than 8m/yr.

Camden Depot did a nice write up on LH bullpen pieces the O's should consider:

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2014/11/constructing-orioles-2015-bullpen.html

Zach Duke and Tom Gorzelanny are more interesting to me. But they make a case for Neal Cotts and Joe Thatcher, too.

A left hander who can get both righties and lefties out, that also has a good K rate is key.

I think that low cost in years is more important than low cost in dollars, at least given the Orioles current roster construction. I think there are several intriguing players that could potentially be had on one-year deals.

Brett Anderson will almost definitely have to settle for a one year deal and hope he finally has a healthy season. If he is healthy, he's as close to a sure bet as there is to produce. He might not fit perfectly into the O's plans given they already have six starters. Anderson might prefer to go somewhere where the path is a bit more clear. Still, he's a guy I'd look into.

Billy Butler might end up with a one year deal to re-establish his value. He will only be 29 and doesn't need to bounce back much in order to be a .340+ OBP player again like was his entire career up until 2013. He could be a much cheaper alternative to Cruz, although Delmon might be just as good of a value. Rickie Weeks might end up with a one-year deal. If the price tag isn't much, he would also make a fine right-handed DH alternative (although unlike Butler and Delmon, he should never bat versus RHP).

Archived