How would you feel if the O's selected Matusz at #4?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if the O's selected Matusz at #4?

• Grrrrrrreat! You can't go wrong with a stud lefty.
    • Depends on who's left on the board. If Alvarez and/or T. Beckham are still there...
    • Okay. We better devote the rest of the draft to position talent though!
    • A frakkin' pitcher!? Don't we have enough of those in the minors already?

Almost every site I've checked has the O's selecting Matusz with the #4 pick. I also read somewhere that the O's have him at the top of their board.

I'm not convinced that Matusz will make it past the Pirates; however, if he does, how would you feel if he's the O's pick?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went with GREAT! It would be nice to get one of the position prospects but if we can get close to a sure thing in Matusz, than we can trade our excess pitching for nearly major league ready prospects that we know are producing in AAA.

While I'd like to get Alvarez or T. Beckham, it would certainly be nice to say we have Tillman, Arrieta, and Matusz all in our system.

I went with GREAT! It would be nice to get one of the position prospects but if we can get close to a sure thing in Matusz, than we can trade our excess pitching for nearly major league ready prospects that we know are producing in AAA.

I went with "Okay...". Oddly enough, I really feel pretty strongly that we should take the best college position player available. That said, I counter-balance that thought with something Crazysilver alluded to.

The 4th overall pick is big, huge, a major part of the O's rebuilding efforts. But it's not the only method. And you don't solve all your problems with the #4 pick; you get just one player. So if they determine that Matusz is the way to go, I'll withhold judgement concerning their ability to acquire the position players and have fun cheering this guy on.

If they acquire the other players they need through some bold later round surprises (a la Arrieta), or by trading ML talent, or by trading MiL pitching talent, or eventually through free agency, or through the foreign market, or whatever else they can come up with, well that's fine by me too.

As did I.

Love what Matusz brings to the table.

I went with "Depends..."

I really like Matusz, and I'll be a big fan of his if he ends up with the Orioles, but I would much rather have Pedro Alvarez or Tim Beckham. Both rate higher on my board and fit organizational needs better than Matusz (win-win). However, the O's may not have to make that decision as it is entirely possible, maybe even most likely, that both Alvarez and Beckham are gone by the 4th pick.

If Alvarez, T. Beckham and Posey go 1-3 in some order, I think I'd take Matusz. I'm tempted to say I would go with Eric Hosmer, but that depends on what it takes to sign him. I don't care too much about bonus money, but big league deals for HS'ers scare me. It puts too much pressure on the kid to develop fast and if he doesn't it could "stunt his growth", as he gets promoted before he's ready. Look to Adam Loewen for a good example of that - he wasn't a HS'er, but he wasn't a polished college lefty either.

I would be pleased with Matu - though I would prefer TBeck and Hosmer.

Lots of strong talent at the top of the board - that's my main source for optimism for the pick.

Matu is completely worthy of the pick, IMO. I'm not concerned about the relative lack of hitters in our system such that it would affect how I draft. Let's just keep adding talent.

While I'd like to get Alvarez or T. Beckham, it would certainly be nice to say we have Tillman, Arrieta, and Matusz all in our system.

Agreed. I would be mildly disappointed if Pedro and T-Bex were off the board and we passed on Smoak, but I'd be happy with Matusz if JJ thinks he's the best player available.

If we do draft Matusz, I think he'll move quickly through the organization. I project him to be pitching in the bigs in 2010.

I dunno why, but I get the feeling that Alvarez is going to be there when we pick in the 4 spot...and I have a feeling we'll pass on him. I sure hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to see him, Wieters, Markakis, and Jones as our young foundation for years.

You mean one of those 4 ;)

Are those your choices in order?

1) Beck

2) Alvarez

3) Smoak

4) Hosmer

I kind of look at these 4 in 2 groups:

Group 1 is Beck and Alvarez....I think TBeck is the class of the draft and even though he is a HSer, I would take him over Alvarez BUT I would be thrilled with Alvarez and if the O's took him over Beck(if both were available), i wouldn't complain at all.

Group 2 is Hosmer and Smoak...I think Hosmer has more upside but there is a bigger risk he doesn't sign and Smoak is a surer thing, so I take Smoak here.

I dunno why, but I get the feeling that Alvarez is going to be there when we pick in the 4 spot...and I have a feeling we'll pass on him. I sure hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to see him, Wieters, Markakis, and Jones as our young foundation for years.

If Alvarez is available, there is no way the Orioles will pass on him. He is the best player in the draft. After taking Wieters last year, you have to believe JJ has the power to take the top player.

If Pedro is on the board, he will be an Oriole.

If Alvarez is available, there is no way the Orioles will pass on him. He is the best player in the draft. After taking Wieters last year, you have to believe JJ has the power to take the top player.

If Pedro is on the board, he will be an Oriole.

I'm a little nervous we're going to pass on the big guys. We heard a few rumours last year that AM wouldn't have drafted Weiters. I think Matusz will be the pick even if Alvarez or T Beck or left. Hope I'm wrong.

Archived