Monster game for MD today

Sports Guy

If MD beats VaTech today, they are right back in the thick of things.

Now, i am not saying they would be off the bubble because I don't think they will be.

But a win today would put them in position to make a run.

If they lose today, I believe they are done in terms of making the NCAA tourney barring a miracle ACC tourney championship.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If MD beats VaTech today, they are right back in the thick of things.

Now, i am not saying they would be off the bubble because I don't think they will be.

But a win today would put them in position to make a run.

If they lose today, I believe they are done in terms of making the NCAA tourney barring a miracle ACC tourney championship.

I don't think they are done if they lose. They still have at Clemson, and UNC, Duke, and Wake at home. Not likely they'd win a bunch of those, but the Terps have chances coming up to make themselves look really good.

That said, this is a huge game today. Gotta win the home games against the other bubble teams. They took care of Miami at home, need to do the same against Tech.

I think the Terps take care of business.

Big win for MD.

It's all on the table for them if they want to make the tourney.

Beat NC State and Virginia like they should, and they can make the tournament easily by splitting with Clemson, Wake, Duke, and UNC, the latter 3 at home.

Even by only winning 1 of 4, they'll be in the discussion.

Milbourne is a hell of a player.

Damn it, why did we have to lose to Morgan State?

Obviously the magic number of wins is 20. We need to win 3 of the next 6 plus one in the ACC tournament. I think we will get to 19 and the loss to Morgan State will come into play. My scenario below will require two ACC tournament wins to get any shot at a bid (not likely).

We have:

@ Clemson (loss)

UNC (loss)

Duke (loss)

@ NCST (win)

WFU (loss)

@ UVA (win)

No way do we beat Clemson at home. We need to upset one of the big 3: UNC, Duke, or Wake at Comcast. Wake looks like the most likely candidate. How many ACC teams get in this season? I'm thinking it's going to be 6 or 7.

Obviously the magic number of wins is 20. We need to win 3 of the next 6 plus one in the ACC tournament. I think we will get to 19 and the loss to Morgan State will come into play. My scenario below will require two ACC tournament wins to get any shot at a bid (not likely).

We have:

@ Clemson (loss)

UNC (loss)

Duke (loss)

@ NCST (win)

WFU (loss)

@ UVA (win)

No way do we beat Clemson at home. We need to upset one of the big 3: UNC, Duke, or Wake at Comcast. Wake looks like the most likely candidate. How many ACC teams get in this season? I'm thinking it's going to be 6 or 7.

Your overall number of wins isnt really that important, its your entire resume'.

Sure, the loss to Morgan State hurts. But its not a killer.

You are right that they need to beat one of the big guys to get in.

I just checked our RPI and we were ranked 72 before today's win! I didn't realize it was so low. We are not going to be in the discussion unless we can get into the top 50. We might have moved up into the mid 60's with the win today, but still a long way to go.

I just checked our RPI and we were ranked 72 before today's win! I didn't realize it was so low. We are not going to be in the discussion unless we can get into the top 50. We might have moved up into the mid 60's with the win today, but still a long way to go.

The RPI will go up alot just playing the big 4 teams left on the schedule.

It's pretty simple.

Beat 2 of those 4, and they're gonna get in.

Beat 1, and they'll need something in the tourney and be sweating it out.

Lose all 4, and they're done.

We have:

@ Clemson (loss)

UNC (loss)

Duke (loss)

@ NCST (win)

WFU (loss)

@ UVA (win)

What's tough is beating NC State on the road is no given either. I think we beat WF and I think we make a run at Clemson on the road, they usually start going backwards this time of year and are ripe for the upset.

We have:

@ Clemson (loss)

UNC (loss)

Duke (loss)

@ NCST (win)

WFU (loss)

@ UVA (win)

I think the Miami and FSU losses hurt more than Morgan St. If they win those the Terps would now have a very good shot at a 9-7 ACC record, which this year should be enough to Dance. Now they will need to pull an upset to get to 8-8. At that point I think they would still need at least one ACC Tourney win and possibly still have to hope that none of the mid-major powers gets upset in their conference tourney. That said, their destiny is still very much in their hands.

As for number of bids, again, depending on what happens in the mid-major tournaments I think the ACC could have as many as 8 teams in or as few as 6.

^ I agree the Miami and FSU wins hurt. We should've had both of those. That Morgan State was just a dagger to the aorta though.

I watched the game on ESPN360 today. Very nice. Our backcourt and whole team played under control, which is nice to see for a change. Hitting shots doesn't hurt either. Milbourne is starting to look like the player I thought he would be. He has such a nice stroke.

Personally I think we still have a fair amount of work to do in order to make the tournament sadly. But if we go 3-3 the rest of the way and win 2+ ACC Tournament games then that definitley does the trick. Beating UNC or Duke would really help.

Archived