Bring up Mayo already!!

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It makes plenty of sense to deal Mountcastle today, if the right deal is there.  This pearl clutching of these middling vets by this fan base is really crazy to me.

Whew, and here I was worried you might go a whole day without advocating a Mountcastle trade.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CTBear said:

Yeah it’s crazy how many positions Westy played in AAA. He might be the most versatile defender we have in the entire org

Well, I will say this year he has been very good at 3B and not very good at 2B.

Maybe those things fluctuate from year to year?

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

From Roch

Gunnar Henderson , as valuable and elite as he is...has MORE errors  at SS than Coby Mayo has at 3rd base. Give me an elite bat with power, who may struggle, but someone whose bat is lethal over a better defender who poses little or no worry to apposing pitchers..

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Gunnar Henderson , as valuable and elite as he is...has MORE errors  at SS than Coby Mayo has at 3rd base. Give me an elite bat with power, who may struggle, but someone whose bat is lethal over a better defender who poses little or no worry to apposing pitchers..

Gunnar's errors come from him having the range to get to balls that a lot of people can't and the inexperience to know when to put the ball in your pocket and not throw it into the stands.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Seems obvious they are waiting for the trade deadline, OR to preserve Mayo’s rookie status for next year (mid to late August call up)

I think it’s both. If they wait to the trade deadline, it’s only two more weeks to preserve his rookie status - they could trade Urias or somebody else at the trade deadline to make space and have Norby or somebody else around for a couple weeks. 

Which is why I’d prefer to see them get creative with making temporary space now, move somebody before or at the deadline, forget about Mayo’s rookie status, and get Mayo more time to contribute this year and get acclimated before the playoffs. But if they were going to do that it would have been this week. I think that ship has probably sailed, front offices are focusing on the draft and then it will be the trade deadline. 

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Well, I will say this year he has been very good at 3B and not very good at 2B.

Maybe those things fluctuate from year to year?

He looked pretty comfortable and reliable at 2B last year so I’m not too worried about it. Could just be a lack of reps there with the plan to have Holliday fill in

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It makes plenty of sense to deal Mountcastle today, if the right deal is there.  This pearl clutching of these middling vets by this fan base is really crazy to me.

What’s crazy to me is you think dealing a proven player in the middle of the season with an OPS+ 120 is risk free. 

How many more young hitters do we need to see struggle at first? There are 70 games left in the season. It’s the middle of the year. Mountcastle doesn’t have to go thru growing pains. 

I love Mayo but why the idea it’s a given he hits right away?

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What’s crazy to me is you think dealing a proven player in the middle of the season with an OPS+ 120 is risk free. 

How many more young hitters do we need to see struggle at first? There are 70 games left in the season. It’s the middle of the year. Mountcastle doesn’t have to go thru growing pains. 

I love Mayo but why the idea it’s a given he hits right away?

1) If you use Mountcastle to get pitching, which is my goal, I think we end up a better team.

2) I don’t assume that about Mayo at all…but I want him up here now (well a month ago) to acclimate himself and get going.  I do think he will eventually hit and his RH power and OBP combo is needed here 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I wanted to deal vets last offseason (Hays was more my target but I wasn't opposed to Mountcastle either.) And I would be happy to deal them this offseason.   In practice I don't think it's common for playoff teams to trade productive MLers mid-season, and I think there are valid reasons for that.

Since 2022, the Orioles have been a good team, with lots of talent at both the ML and AAA levels. In that time, have they parted with any players with talent who are making or might, some day, make a contribution to the big club, other than Joey Ortiz (who was going to have a limited role with the Orioles at most and was used effectively to help where the team's need to improve from outside the system was greatest) and some fringe-ish pitchers where it looked like there was opportunity for upgrades? I'm sure I'm forgetting something or somethings.

As I've said a number of times, but haven't posted recently so far as I recall, Elias has been unwilling to part with young talented players who might become more productive than the guys whom he decides to keep. Meanwhile, some of the young guys and veterans probably have declined in trade value as they linger at AAA and AA. 

Promoting Mayo, unless there's an injury, will require saying good-bye to Urias or Mateo (or maybe, I'd have said until recently, Hays). Both Urias and Mateo have some value, both as starters and off the bench, with their defense and the flexibility they provide (in Urias's case, paired with Westburg), Mateo's speed as a PR or on the rare occasions when he gets on base, and Urias's RHed bat when he's hitting. With very little room at DH (or 1B) for Mayo, putting him at 3B will hurt the team on defense, though at this point I have no idea how much. 

We could use a well placed pothole that gives Mayo a week or two with the Orioles without trading or releasing anyone.  Even without that, if the offense continues to sputter, I expect to see him after the break. 

I agree that it is getting to be the time Coby Mayo gets called up.  He has earned it.  I think they want to do it when they can play him everyday and not have to send him back down.  I would bet they are trying to swing a deal to make some room for him.  So if this happens tomorrow or sometime closer to the trade deadline I think people just need to be patient.  I know we have lost 2 in a row so that has many in panic mode.  I hope he comes up and rakes but if he doesn’t and struggles, like many rookies do, the same people will be ready to give up on him as well.  

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I wanted to deal vets last offseason (Hays was more my target but I wasn't opposed to Mountcastle either.) And I would be happy to deal them this offseason.   In practice I don't think it's common for playoff teams to trade productive MLers mid-season, and I think there are valid reasons for that.

I completely agree with you…but I also wonder if that will change now with the new WC structure. There just aren’t many sellers but there are a ton of buyers and if teams match up that are buyers, maybe we start to see more of it.

The Os are in an enviable position that they have so much talent that they give up some of it and could easily come out a better team for it.  Most teams can’t do that.

2 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I agree that it is getting to be the time Coby Mayo gets called up.  He has earned it.  I think they want to do it when they can play him everyday and not have to send him back down.  I would bet they are trying to swing a deal to make some room for him.  So if this happens tomorrow or sometime closer to the trade deadline I think people just need to be patient.  I know we have lost 2 in a row so that has many in panic mode.  I hope he comes up and rakes but if he doesn’t and struggles, like many rookies do, the same people will be ready to give up on him as well.  

I think the main issue with Mayo is that waited too long to get him reps at first base.  I don't think they want him in the OF or Third so now they are trying to get him passable at First.

• Upvote 1