FSU vs MD 2/4/10

RavenWarrior

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This game so far has shown me why Williams needs to go. The guys are just putting on another slop fest despite being down a few. I will be glad when Vasquez is gone I've never understood why he cant simply hang on to a basketball.

Next year scares me more without GV. Bowie at the point.:eek:

Shows why GW better recruit better. These big teams that have big size and speed just cut through the lanes on us like crazy drive easily to the basket and score. We have no perimeter defense (hasnt been too bad tonight) and we cant stop dribble penetration to the basket. Our defense just flat out sucks. But if we DO have Bowie at the point next year, we are screwed.

They just go through spells where they can't play any worse and it's absolutely infuriating. Then again, I suppose most teams do that...

That's what I've been trying to say (not you Pedro, just Terp fans in general).

Every team does this. Every team has infuriating periods where you just can't understand what is going on. You guys just notice it with Maryland because you watch every game.

These last 3 minutes are so huge. This would be a monster road win for the Terps.

And Adrian Bowie, my lease favorite Terp btw, will end up on SportsCenter tonight for the wrong reason...

He stinks. I've tried to be positive with him, but man, he can't shoot, doesn't have great handles, and seems to lack a great hoops smarts. Not a fan of his.

The play by Singleton was absurd.

How about Dino Gregory being a small hero in this game? Two big free throws and a big charge taken on the defensive end?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• There was a thread on here a long time ago, I think @Frobbystarted it...basically pondering who would play more games for the Orioles over the course of their careers, Hays or Mullins.   I can't find it. Anyway, it's Cedric and by a decent margin...639 to 557.
    • Pache has some Jorge Mateo vibes. Very high-end fielder in CF, great arm, right-handed hitter, pretty passable against LHPs (.698 career OPS), entirely unusable against RHPs. Good speed, but not a base-stealer. The interesting thing about him being in this deal is that it feels a whole lot like exactly what you would do to clear up the ability to trade Cedric Mullins.
    • Kjerstad should be playing every day.
    • Still issue hitting LHP for the team. Defense clearly upgraded and S.D has upside. Curious if anymore position player deals or this was it.  
    • I had a whole post written up about this the other day, but I think it’s important to note that Kikuchi is one of the relatively rare pitchers where you can’t just quote his FIP/xFIP and treat it as more predictive than his actual ERA.  He breaks the assumptions that are inherent in those numbers. Roughly speaking, they are built on the notion that pitchers can really only control the “true outcomes” — which are Ks, BBs, and HRs (for FIP purposes), with xFIP substituting FB rate for HRs. The idea is that all batted balls in play are generally created equal, so over time, everybody’s outcomes on those will be roughly equivalent. Which means that the ability to strike guys out, avoid walks, and avoid home runs is the real talent/impact that a pitcher provides.  Where the assumptions fall apart, then, is when you have a pitcher whose batted balls are not created equal. In other words, if a pitcher is consistently giving up (or consistently limiting) hard, high-quality contact when batters do hit the ball, then the FIP/xFIP model doesn’t very effectively “fit” him. And Kikuchi is one of those guys. He misses bats and he doesn’t walk lots of guys, but batters very consistently clobber the ball when they do make contact. He was 1st percentile in average EV in 2021, 1st percentile again in 2022, 12th percentile last year, and 8th percentile this year. That’s a pretty robust sample to suggest that this guy’s batted-ball “luck” isn’t just luck — it’s a consistent trait of the pitcher himself. He’s always going to give up more hits (and more extra-base hits) per contact than the average pitcher because they’re making better, harder contact against him.   All of that is not to say we have to reject the guy or it’s a disaster if we trade for him. I’d actually probably do this deal to install him as SP5 and at least a somewhat viable candidate to throw pitches in the postseason — though it would absolutely be as a second pickup, not the only one. My only point is that you can’t just cite the FIP and say “he’s a good bet to improve because he’s underperforming his metrics.” Those metrics just don’t really work for him, because of the nature of his batted-ball quality. 
    • What’s wrong with being a god loving person? 
    • A couple of understatements: Hays is going to a contender, and he won't miss the LF wall distance at T. Rowe Price Park.  I guess this means Cowser is a full-time LFer/CFer, and that he (and Kjerstat) will be less likely to be pulled for a pinch hitter if they go up against LHers late in a game, though Montcastle and Pache (.662 OPS vs. LHers this season) remain possibilities. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now