Debbie Yow's letter to NCSU

The Epic

At least one reporter doesn't agree that Yow is the one who looks bad here. This seems rather over the top from Doyle. The following comments makes it hard to take him seriously.

"Are we done talking about Gary Williams?" he later asked. "I want to make this very clear, that if Gary Williams does not return my call, he’s scared of me. And so he can act all big and bad, and he can stand there on his coaching bench and turn around and yell at his assistant coaches, who've done nothing wrong. And when a guy on the court travels, he can turn around and yell at the 12th man on his bench, because he’s a little bit tiny coward runt of a man. He can do all that.

At least one reporter doesn't agree that Yow is the one who looks bad here. This seems rather over the top from Doyle. The following comments makes it hard to take him seriously.

What an embarassment to journalism.

Although this comment on Yow might explain things

just dripping with competency

That sounds exactly like something Charlie Sheen would say.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/2011/04/debbie_yow_vs_gary_williams.html

As she is known to do, Yow probably leaked the whole sabotage angle to Gregg Doyel, a columnist for CBS Sportsline, who went on a radio show in Raleigh Tuesday ranting about Williams.

I know first-hand that this is her MO, having been the recipient of a leak years ago that tried to make Williams look bad.

This was in 1997, the day before the NCAA tournament, and I met up with Yow in a Cincinnati airport on the way to Memphis. She asked me, "What is he going to do to them?" I had no idea what or who she was talking about, but played along until I figured that a couple of players had broken curfew at the ACC tournament. With the help of Greg Manning, the former Terp guard who was the radio color analyst at the time, I pieced together a story that LaRon Profit and Terrell Stokes were going to be benched. The Terps wound up losing to College of Charleston.

So is Doyel the "national writer" that Debbie was referring to when she said someone would tell the story of what Gary did? First off, this clown is only making Yow look worse. I'd suggest she distance herself from his comments quickly, but it's probably already too late to save her reputation. Second, I still have yet to see any evidence that Gary "sabotaged" the search. I don't doubt that the coaches NC State reached out to are quite familiar with GW/Yow's relationship. I also don't doubt that some of them may have called Gary for feedback on her, and that Gary didn't hold back his true feelings. Still, that's not sabotage in my book. Sabotage would be for Gary to find out through back-channels who NC State planned on talking to and then calling those coaches, unprompted by anyone, to encourage them not to take the job. So Debbie, show me some evidence that is what has happened here.

So is Doyel the "national writer" that Debbie was referring to when she said someone would tell the story of what Gary did? First off' date=' this clown is only making Yow look worse. I'd suggest she distance herself from his comments quickly, but it's probably already too late to save her reputation. Second, I still have yet to see any evidence that Gary "sabotaged" the search. I don't doubt that the coaches NC State reached out to are quite familiar with GW/Yow's relationship. I also don't doubt that some of them may have called Gary for feedback on her, and that Gary didn't hold back his true feelings. Still, that's not sabotage in my book. Sabotage would be for Gary to find out through back-channels who NC State planned on talking to and then calling those coaches, unprompted by anyone, to encourage them not to take the job. So Debbie, show me some evidence that is what has happened here.[/quote']

Even if Gary did do that, is it really sabotage? Is warning coaches not to work for a horrible person really a bad thing to do? He's really just saving their careers and sanity. The woman is legitimately insane. It would not surprise me if Gary did call the coaches in the slightest. He hates Debbie Yow with a passion unbeknowst to mankind.

Also, I have some extremely horrible things to say about Gregg Doyle. He called Gary a "spineless fraction of a man" yet he just turned down interviews to defend his comments on DC and Baltimore radio. What an *&^%$%^&*(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%$#$%^&*

Even if Gary did do that, is it really sabotage? Is warning coaches not to work for a horrible person really a bad thing to do? He's really just saving their careers and sanity. The woman is legitimately insane. It would not surprise me if Gary did call the coaches in the slightest. He hates Debbie Yow with a passion unbeknowst to mankind.

Also, I have some extremely horrible things to say about Gregg Doyle. He called Gary a "spineless fraction of a man" yet he just turned down interviews to defend his comments on DC and Baltimore radio. What an *&^%$%^&*(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%$#$%^&*

Well, it definitely takes a coward to know one.

There has been some interesting reaction down here in NC. All the Duke and UNC fans are laughing. What's sad is that I've heard a few ST fans talk about what a great hire this is. Most are trying to make Gary Williams the #1 enemy. Sounds like a few MD fans too. But I digress. Yow is clearly trying to blame someone else for her failure. Gary has his issues, but why she would bring him up with a chance for her to make her first big decision and separate herself from MD and Gary is beyond me.

But I did want to provide some more comic relief. A radio station here in NC has a whiner line that you can call and just say what you want. The last one played today was mostly all about this debacle. My call was the opening call and I took my shots. Most of the rest of the calls were hilarious.

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2011/04/06/the-whiner-line-625-wednesday-4-6-11/

Yeah, I think you could make the argument that GW initiating contact with candidates, unsolicited, just to tell them his feelings about DY is sabotage. You could make just as good an argument that Gary would also have been doing them a huge favor.

Archived