Update on ACC basketball

accinfo

The ACC has lost 36 out of conference games to date. This after Arizona smashes NC State today. There are a few more non-conference games to be played but this has to be some kind of record. Selection Sunday really is going to be interesting this year.

Keeps getting better for the Hokies. They announced before Christmas another two players out for the season. Dorenzo Hudson and Cadarian Raines both redshirting this season due to foot injuries. Already out for the season were JT Thopmson and Allan Chaney. That leaves us with 8 scholarship players.

Delaney and Green look to be the starting backcourt for the rest of the season, with Allen, Davila, and Bell filling in the front court positions. Only real options left on the bench are g/f's Eddie (fr) and Atkins (so), and Garland (fr) at guard.

I said at the beginning of the season that with our lack of depth, especially down low, alot of things would have to go right in order for us to live up to the preseason expectations. Unfortunately, just about everything is working against them at this point. At least Greenberg managed to put together a top 15 class for next season, I suppose.

Anyone catch FLaSt's upset victory over Baylor? Chris Singleton looked amazing. Dude is seriously underrated. That's a great defensive team with a ton of size. Offensively... eh, I have to see them again, but probably not good.

I am pretty sure I have seen him as a first rounder.

I am pretty sure I have seen him as a first rounder.

Probably so. The place I looked has him as the 1st pick in the 2nd round. http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft Unless I just caught him on a good day, I think he's a lottery lock - especially considering the 2011 draft does not look impressive (though I suppose that could change come tournament time). I haven't heard much buzz about him.

Let me put it this way - I guarantee he'll be a better pro than Plumlee.

Of course, I didn't say which Plumlee. :laughlol:

Two more out of conference ACC losses last night as BC loses to Rhode Island and Wake gets their butts kicked again by a good Richmond team. That is 42 out of conference losses to date by ACC basketball teams.

I think teams finishing below third in the ACC might have to sweat selection Sunday this year. Certainly below 5th will really be sweating.

Maybe it will take 10 wins for Maryland to get in and if that's the case we're in trouble.

To me they will get 10 wins. Not because they are overly talented but their schedule is in their favor and Williams is just a better coach then most in the ACC. They pretty much have 4 locks wins with Virginia and Wake Forest. Another pretty lock win at Georgia Tech. There toughest conference games are the two with Duke. (they are not winning either one of those). At BC, at Nc, at Va Tech and at Miami. They should at least win one or two if those. They play Clemson, Nc State, and Florida State only once and they are all at home. They should find at least 9 wins if not 10. That may make them sweat a little bit but that should be about enough. If they only win 8 games in this ACC they don't belong in the tournament.

Yeah, I don't think it is going to be quite as bad as it was for the Pac 10 last year.. but I agree you better finish Top 5.

The ACC is currently 4th in the KenPom ratings, ahead of the Pac 10 and SEC.

http://kenpom.com/

http://kenpom.com/conf.php?c=ACC

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Maryland

I am sorry but I don't get these ratings. How can any poll rank Maryland 19th? They have Notre Dame below them at 22. Notre Dame has beaten Georgia, Cal, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, and Georgetown. There only loss is to Kentucky in Louisville. This BS that some team beat the heck out of the 190th ranked team versus another team that beat the heck out of the 140th team in the nation is just nonsense.

How in any poll is Ohio State a better team then Duke?

I'm not versed in basketball sabermetrics like I am with baseball sabermetrics, but this what Pomeroy is showing.

He is weighing all aspects of games, scoring, tempo, defense, rebounding, schedule... here is link to Basketball Prospectus, where I believe he also contributes:

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/products/cbp2010/

Major League baseball teams are much more similar to each other to make these types of statistical analysis. Division I college basketball teams play other teams at much different levels. It would be like the Orioles playing an "A" level minor league team and comparing them to the Yankees playing a "AA" team.

I just think these stats are skewed towards traditionally good teams. Since 2004 the only teams from the ACC to make past the sweet-16 are either Duke or Carolina.

Archived