Colton Cowser 2024

Someone needs to put together a reel of the at bats where Cowser allegedly was unlucky.  I’m not really buying it.   I’m seeing a lot of strikeouts and routine outs.  Some guys are destined to have a gap between wOBA and xwOBA.  Luck is not the only factor.   Tom Tango essentially said as much during his brief flyby.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Someone needs to put together a reel of the at bats where Cowser allegedly was unlucky.  I’m not really buying it.   I’m seeing a lot of strikeouts and routine outs.  Some guys are destined to have a gap between wOBA and xwOBA.  Luck is not the only factor.   Tom Tango essentially said as much during his brief flyby.  

Zero people have said luck is the only factor.

Everyone acknowledges he has some growing to do and that the swing and miss is an issue. 

But luck is playing a factor and makes the numbers look worse than they are. If he was having better luck and his OPS was more in the 775+ range, which it probably should be, the hand wringing going on over him would be a lot less.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

His hot start in April jolted the numbers a bit, but since April 29th he's got a .670 OPS. Which is the same as if Urias was playing LF, except Urias doesn't strike out 30% of the time. 

Urias also grades out below average defensively according to Fangraphs and OAA, while Cowser is one of the best in the MLB. That’s a huge difference. 

25 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Urias also grades out below average defensively according to Fangraphs and OAA, while Cowser is one of the best in the MLB. That’s a huge difference. 

I like Cowser's glove and I hope he adjusts his plate approch. I think I would be less bothered if Cowser just took over Mullins' ABs entirely, as I think Ced is more or less toast. 

• Like 1

He should have had a hit last night which would have put 2 runners on with no outs but he was admiring a Baltimore chop and stood in the box, maybe he thought it was foul or something. As it was he still made the play close, but he definitely had an IF hit if he ran out of the box.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

He should have had a hit last night which would have put 2 runners on with no outs but he was admiring a Baltimore chop and stood in the box, maybe he thought it was foul or something. As it was he still made the play close, but he definitely had an IF hit if he ran out of the box.

I don’t think he knew where the ball was. Lack of hustle isn’t an issue with him at all.

That was a weird bounce and just think it caught him off guard.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he knew where the ball was. Lack of hustle isn’t an issue with him at all.

Like I said he might have thought it was foul, he still made it close but he would have been easily safe.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As I said earlier in the thread, more a lack of focus or awareness than a lack of hustle.  Ditto with the play where the ball hit off the 2B bag and Cowser didn’t move until after the ball hit the bag.   

14 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I like Cowser's glove and I hope he adjusts his plate approch. I think I would be less bothered if Cowser just took over Mullins' ABs entirely, as I think Ced is more or less toast. 

Agree with this.  I'd like them to give CF to Cowser.   Let him hit 8th/9th until he starts to come around.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

As I said earlier in the thread, more a lack of focus or awareness than a lack of hustle.  Ditto with the play where the ball hit off the 2B bag and Cowser didn’t move until after the ball hit the bag.   

Do LFers usually move when there is an innocent ground ball up the middle?

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Like I said he might have thought it was foul, he still made it close but he would have been easily safe.

Yep. My assumption is that he was getting a hit once I saw where the ball was but I just don’t think he knew where the ball was and that little bit of hesitation threw everything off.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Do LFers usually move when there is an innocent ground ball up the middle?

He played CF last night didn't he? I had to listen to the game but I thought Hays was in LF.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He played CF last night didn't he? I had to listen to the game but I thought Hays was in LF.

Oh right.  You are right but the ball went into LF.(maybe more left center?)

Either way, I’m not sure he didn’t move some but he likely didn’t move to his right and I don’t know why he would have prior to the ball hitting the bag?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding Frobby’s complaint though.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Oh right.  You are right but the ball went into LF.(maybe more left center?)

Either way, I’m not sure he didn’t move some but he likely didn’t move to his right and I don’t know why he would have prior to the ball hitting the bag?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding Frobby’s complaint though.

I'm not sure it wasn't described well on the radio.