Bring up Mayo already!!

Just now, accinfo said:

That could be but they are facing another left hander tomorrow so it would make sense to do it then if they are going to.  I am sure they won’t lose again after he comes up.

Yes, I forgot McCann had to play today or tomorrow so there may have been some hesitancy to bring him up. Tomorrow looks perfect with Rutchman catching next 3 games until Sunday.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Yes, I forgot McCann had to play today or tomorrow so there may have been some hesitancy to bring him up. Tomorrow looks perfect with Rutchman catching next 3 games until Sunday.d

Yes lets call it now.  I am sure the announcement will be tomorrow.  Mayo to DH against the Cubs.  Maybe a walkup sellout.

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They aren’t going to be short in the pen. 

Tate has given up 6 ER in his last 3 appearances. We wouldn’t technically be short on bullpen arms as we would have the same as the month of 6 man rotation. I’m fine with sending down Cowser too but we only have 4 games until ASB. If anything happens you can bring someone up in a pinch as well.

18 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'd like to see Mayo get his chance, but I'd be happy with Norby back and playing 2B. At least give him some run before the deadline. 

I didn’t realize until recently that Norby strikes out so much. He’s got a 28% strikeout rate. The whole Tides team strikes out a lot, but his numbers stick out a bit. 

7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I didn’t realize until recently that Norby strikes out so much. He’s got a 28% strikeout rate. The whole Tides team strikes out a lot, but his numbers stick out a bit. 

He's certainly not a perfect option but I believe he'd be a bit more reliable than Mateo. Plus I think it's a better defensive team with Westburg on third.

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

My understanding is that Norby made a conscious decision to sacrifice some contact for power this year. It has worked out for him. His ISO is up (.233 this year versus .193 last year) and his wRC+ is up (132 this year versus 109 last year).

I’ll be down in Norfolk again soon, but he looked fine in the outfield when I saw him earlier this season. I honestly hope he isn’t there when I arrive because he is playing in the majors here or elsewhere (preferably here).

Personally, I would like to see both Norby and Mayo on the team because I think they are both talented hitters and I think the defense for both is better than the reputations that they seem to have developed. I hope that they don’t trade Mayo because I think the bat is special. If they trade Norby, that’s fine, but I think he’d be a more than adequate Hays replacement next season.

From Roch

What do you hear about Coby Mayo's defense? Is that really the one thing holding him back at this point?
One reason that Mayo is held back is that the club can’t carry a 27-man roster. Which infielder is removed to make room for him? He isn't a duplicate, for example, of Jorge Mateo or Ramón Urías as far as skill set. You trading Ryan Mountcastle? But also, Mayo needed more work at third base and he could use the reps at first if he’s gonna move across the diamond, at least on occasion. Manager Brandon Hyde was asked yesterday about Mayo’s defense and told the assembled media that “it’s improving.” It isn’t hurting Mayo to remain at Triple-A, but his time is coming. The Orioles need to figure out who goes. An injury would provide a solution, of course, but they can’t sit around waiting for one.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

From Roch

The Os really overvalue Urias’ defense.

Between that and saying McCann has traditionally hit lefties, it’s apparent that the Os just aren’t looking at all info that is available.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1